I. Type of Information We Collect
Generally, we will collect certain Aggregate Information, Personal Information, or both when you subscribe to our products or services; contact us; participate in forums, message boards, or chats; submit a letter to the editor; rate, tag, or comment on articles; or participate in surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or games.
A. Aggregate Information
1. Collection. We may collect and use general, non-identifying information, or “Aggregate Information,” to improve the content of our Site, for systems administration, and for trouble-shooting purposes. This Site’s servers may automatically collect information about your computer, including without limitation:
- Your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, which can identify the location from which you entered the Internet;
- The type of web browser you use;
- The type of operating system you use, such as your company or the domain name of your Internet Service Provider (“ISP”);
- Webpages that you visit and the number of pages you visit;
Such information may be shared with other organizations for commercial purposes and with our affiliates.
2. Use. We may use Aggregate Information to help enhance your use of the Site. We may use this information to analyze trends to improve the Site’s design and content, to help diagnose technical problems, and to offer you products and services. We may also use this information in seeking advertisers and partners.
B. Personal Information
1. Collection. We also collect what we call “Personal Information”, which is any information that you voluntarily submit to us, such as:
- Your name;
- Email address;
- Mailing address;
- Telephone number or fax number;
- Occupation; and
- Information about your interest in various products, programs and services.
Often, we request this information when you:
- Inquire about our Site, products, or services;
- Request support;
- Join an on-line community, chat room, forum, or message board;
- Send us an email;
- Enter a sweepstakes or contest, or complete a survey;
- Or otherwise contact us using Personal Information.
Certain actions that you perform on the Site may trigger the collection of additional Personal Information. Here are some examples:
Promotions and Contests. We may, from time to time, sponsor sweepstakes, contests, or other events (“Promotions”) which require the collection, processing, and storage of individual contact information and demographic information. These Promotions may also prompt registrants to answer survey questions. Any personally identifiable information collected through promotions will be treated as Personal Information. No purchase is ever necessary to enter a Promotion. Please see the official rules of each Promotion for more information.
We may co-sponsor Promotions with other companies, in which case any information collected is likely to be shared with other participating sponsors, who may use this information as they wish. A registrant’s personal contact and demographic information will not be released to any third party organization, other than the named sponsors, without the registrant’s consent.
Surveys and Polls. We may conduct anonymous surveys and polls of users to the Site to obtain aggregate demographic information. Such information may be compiled and shared in the aggregate with advertisers and other third parties, but no personal details will be traceable or associated with specific individuals unless otherwise specified in the survey rules.
Third Party Information. You may choose to sign up for certain promotions, newsletters, or affiliated publications on behalf of another person. You may order a service as a gift for a third party and send it directly to the third party by submitting the third party’s name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number. The personal information of another person also constitutes Personal Information.
2. Use. We may use your Personal Information for one of the following purposes:
- The specific purposes for which you provide the information to us
- To supply you with, and fulfill your requests for, products, services, programs, subscriptions, and offerings;
- To send you information about your transactions with us;
- To send you a confirmation or to notify you that you have won a contest;
- To provide you with notification of the Site’s new products, programs, services, or features;
- To enhance or develop the Site’s features, products, or services;
- To provide advertisers and other third parties with aggregate information about our users;
- To personalize content and advertising that you and others see on the Site;
We may also use the Personal Information we collect for internal purposes, which may require the transfer of such information to our other offices, affiliates, or third party service providers. This transfer may be necessary for administrative purposes, technical maintenance, communication about customer service issues, the marketing and promotion of products and services that might be of interest to you, and to use in seeking advertisers and partners.
We have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures in order to secure the information we collect online, prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, prevent fraud, ensure the correct use of information, and for risk management purposes.
We reserve the right to share both Aggregate and Personal Information we collect from you with third parties if we are authorized to do so, if the law requires it, to protect the rights of Latitude News, or as part of a sale or other disposition of our assets (including our membership and customer records). We may also use and disclose Personal Information to prevent or trace abuses of the Site, including but not limited to use of a Forum.
We may also use and disclose Personal Information to comply with any court order or government investigation, subpoena or inquiry, or as otherwise required by law, or to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Latitude News, users of the Site, or the public. In addition, in our letters to the editor section, we typically disclose the city or town in which the letter-writer resides.
While we have taken reasonable steps to limit the uses of information you provide, we cannot guarantee that this information will remain permanently secure. There is always a possibility that your information could be lost due to technical problems or stolen from our databases. We are not responsible for any such loss, theft, or any other unanticipated security breach.
Some cookies may contain your Personal Information, and such cookies may be shared with our affiliates.
If you would like to avoid cookies, your web browser may have an option that enables you to disable or not accept cookies. It should be noted, however, that some aspects of the Site may not function properly if you choose to disable or not accept cookies.
IV. Web Beacons
We may use web beacons to gather metrics from anonymous web users and email recipients for the purpose of operating and improving the Site and email communications. A web beacon is an electronic image that is embedded in a web page or email which allows us to track when users view a web page or recipients open an email containing a beacon. We do not identify the name of a web user or the email address of a web recipient when we use web beacons.
VI. Third Party Advertisements
Third party advertisements that appear on the Site are sometimes delivered (or “served”) directly to users by third party advertisers. The advertisers may automatically receive your IP address when they deliver advertisements to you. These third party advertisers may also download cookies to your computer, or use other technologies to measure the effectiveness of their ads and to personalize advertising content. Cookies allow the advertiser to recognize your computer each time that advertisers sends you an advertisement. In this way, an advertiser may compile information about where individuals using your computer or browser saw the advertisements and determine on which advertisements users have clicked.
We do not have access to or control of the cookies that may be placed on your computer by the third party advertisers, and third party advertisers do not have access to your contact information stored on the Site unless you choose to share this information with them.
Again, if you would like to avoid cookies, your web browser may have an option that enables you to disable or not accept cookies. It should be noted, however, that some aspects of the Site may not function properly if you choose to disable or not accept cookies.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
VII. Children’s Online Privacy
Consistent with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), the Site is not intended for use by anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13 through this Site. Minors between the ages of 13 and 17 must obtain the permission of their parents or legal guardians before making purchases of any type on this Site.
If you are a parent with concerns about children’s privacy issues in conjunction with the use of this Site, or any other privacy issue, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org